Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Stress... and oh, the wonderful site of Pandora!

This weekend could not come fast enough. Honestly. I think all of my teachers got together in one of their little "faculty meetings" and decided to have EVERYTHING due this week. Or, at least, everything that matters. Tomorrow is my make-it or break-it day... two tests, a works cited page due for a history paper, AND a paper due tomorrow. Teachers are just so mean sometimes! Well, the good thing is, labor day weekend is almost here! I'm going with a LOT (and by a lot, i mean about 12) of my friends to Elyse's lake house to spend the weekend. Then, on Sunday, we're going to see Sister Hazel in concert! So I think this weekend should justify all the work I have done this week. At least, I hope so!


Ohh, what is Pandora you ask?
Ask no more! And no, I'm not talking about the Greek mythology. (Mythology has never been my thing. Ohh, the memories of standing out in the hot, sticky sun in the 6th grade, Mrs. Quallio yelling "I can't hear in that ear!" and having to practice our 'mythology' skits for our trip to Jasmine Hill/ reenactment of the Greek Olympics. Oh those were the days.) No no... Pandora is a website that was introduced to me about a week ago. Here's how it works, broken down into simplest form.
1. Tell Pandora your favorite music artist / song. (Of course, I chose first... Relient K. No surprise there. Choose your favorite musical artist... for Marci, that's BSB. For Ashley, that's some good-ole Britney Spears.)
2. Pandora will give you a radio station labeled your choice. (my radion station: Relient K radio.)
3. Pandora will play you a song from your new radio station from that artist. Sometimes, it's an unknown song. Sometimes it's just a classic. (Sadie Hawkins Dance... Let it all Out... who knows??)
4. Pandora will then start playing a random mix of songs, selective of what your artist choice was. (For example: my Relient K radio will play other alternative-style songs that Pandora think will interest me. For the most part, Pandora is always right.)
5. Make more radio stations. One... five... who knows?? Right now, I have the following radio stations set up: Relient K, Jimmy Buffett (for my island tunes), Fall Out Boy, Motion City Soundtrack, and James Taylor. (make fun of my James Taylor all you want, you know you're just jealous.) With my wide variety of different artists, I can choose which radio I want to listen to. For example- late at night, I listen to some relaxing James. If I'm doing homework and need some energy, I go for the Motion City. Get it?
6. Rate the songs... Yay or Nay. If you like the song, rate it as a thumbs up. It'll play more often. If you don't like a song, give it a thumbs down. It won't play anymore, or at least, almost never.
7. Listen to your heart's content! If you don't like a song, you can skip it! Or, you can just change the station.

The best part of Pandora... It's FREE! I love free stuff. It's like the music industry is giving me a big hug. If you're anything like me, you have always wanted a site that would give you hip new music to listen to (mostly music you haven't even heard of) that matches your music needs. Look no further! Let Pandora do all your musical chores for you. Search no more. Oh, how I have a friend in Pandora. I hope someday you will too.

P.S. We sang the New Song in church the other day and it made me extremely happy. :)

2 Comments:

At 8:29 PM, Blogger Lerra said...

I've got to check out this Pandora business! I guess I will have to do it at work cause our ghetto speakers at home don't work...womp womp...

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

hahaha! sounds awesome. I will definitely be cranking the britney...or maybe snow patrol..who knows! thats great. Im totally trying it!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home